October 29

Oscar Wilde in the Picture of Dorian Gray (Contains spoilers)

Contains spoilers!!!!!

Don’t read if you have not read the book 

February 12th, 1894

Basil Hallward is what I think I am: Lord Henry is what the world thinks of me: Dorian what I would like to be- in other age, perhaps

-Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde lived during the time of the Victorian era but lived a life ahead of his time. In the letter seen above Wilde is reflecting on his characters in the Picture of Dorian Gray and himself. The three main characters of his 1891 novel all represent different types of people. Basil a hard-working artist who loves a man, but it is not loved back. Henry is a well-educated man who’s opinion is greatly influential. However, he is very controversial. Finally, Dorian is a vain man who only cares for the pleasures of life and enteral beauty. All of these characters reflect some part of Wilde’s persona.

Basil Hallward is what Wilde thinks of himself. This statement could have two meaning to it. The first being that he put too much of his real life/feelings into the book like Basil did with his paintings. “but I really can’t exhibit it. I have put too much of myself into it.” (6). Basil did not want to show his painting because he felt he has exposed himself. Wilde may have felt the same thing as the novel hints to things that Wide did in his life. The other meaning could be that he was in love with someone that did not love him back, that there was someone in his life that dominated him. “Harry, don’t talk like that. As long as I live, the personality of Dorian Gray will dominate me. You can’t feel what I feel. You change too often” (13). This may reflect how Wilde loved someone but they never loved him back. Having Basil love Dorian right up to the point that Dorian kills him lets Wilde express his forever love for someone. All in all, Basil could easily be an exaggerated version of Wilde.

Henry is what the world thinks of Wilde. Henry is the kind of person that rebels against the social norm, similar to Wilde. Wilde’s affairs during his marriage were hinted to through Henry. “You seem to forget that I am married, and the one charm of marriage is that it makes of life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties.” (7). This could be interpreted as you can be married and cheat and it will all be ok, which is what Wilde did do. The Victorian society also thought that Wilde was a bad influence and made people into people that they were not. Basil’s opinion of Henry could be seen as a reflection of people’s views on Wilde. “Don’t spoil him. Don’t try to influence him. Your influence would be bad. The world is wide, and has many marvellous people in it. Don’t take away from me the one person who gives to my art whatever charm it possesses: my life as an artist depends on him.” (15). Both these sides of Henry are very much things that Victorian society thought of Wilde.

Dorian Gray is what Wilde might like to be. Wilde lived a very lavish life and like to dress fancy. Dorian was able to do that and keep his beauty with him. “His finely-curved scarlet lips, his frank blue eyes, his crisp gold hair … all the candor of youth was there, as well as all youths passionate purity.” (16). Dorian looked beautiful and people admired him right up to the point that he killed himself. Wilde could have been saying that he would like to keep his looks for his whole life and to an extent chose when he dies. Dorian also lived life on his own terms and did what he wanted to do. This could be something that Wilde wanted for himself.

All three characters embody a different type of person, however, Wilde is really all three as parts of his life are reflected in all of the characters.

Works Cited

“Oscar Wilde.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 28 Apr. 2017, www.biography.com/people/oscar-wilde-9531078.

“The Picture of Dorian Gray.” SparkNotes, SparkNotes, www.sparknotes.com/lit/doriangray/characters.html.

Tags: , , , ,

Posted October 29, 2017 by jasminehamid0 in category HL Literature