9 thoughts on “The Raven (An Adaptation)

1. farrahmansi

i really do like this adaption of the poem The Raven because it sends the reader different emotions that the man is going through such as madness in the beginning when he heard knocking on his door, and then the man was hopeful when he first saw the raven is hope that the raven might have been sent from his lover Lenore however the man then feels disappointed because he didn’t get the response from the raven that he had wished to hear and then begins to feel and act as if he is insane and then he begins to face the reality that he is alone and that he doesn’t have the love of his life. so i really like this adaption because it really does send many emotions that the man is feeling and the transitions between them.

Reply
  2. rebeccafi

This adaptation of the poem shows how unreliable the narrator is. This is because at the beginning of the video there is substances on the table next to him that have been opened. Therefore being intoxicated does not make him as reliable as a sober person would be. The adaptation uses Lenore’s painting to show the different stages of his denial of his subconscious thoughts. The climax is very dominate through the video showing his change in emotion (from being curious and lonely to then being angry and frustrated). Seeing a adaptation that is not cartoon like the Simpsons is very useful as you are able to see a more realistic expression of emotion. However I did not like the raven.

Reply
  3. jasminehamid0

After watching this adaptation of the Raven, I felt that I had seen a different way of explaining why the person is talking to the raven. At the beginning of the video the man is seen drinking and that is an explanation to why he is seeing a Raven and talking to it and why it is responding to him. Furthermore, the video also shows how Lenore would feel if she was there watching him go down a rabbit hole. You can see this with Lenore changing her facial expression throughout the poem. Finally, the video also offers an alternate ending with Lenore’s shadow looking down on him after his conversation with the raven. This could offer an alternate explanation to what happens at the end of the poem. The end could be that Lenore will follow him for the rest of his life and never let him find any piece.

Reply
    1. jasminehamid0

Sorry, the last sentence should have been. The end could be that Lenore will follow him for the rest of his life and never let him find any peace or move on from suffering without her.

Reply
  4. rodina

Through this adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe’s poem ‘The Raven,’ it’s easily identified that the actor who portrayed the character of the man suggests through several implications, that the man is not sane or is hallucinating and at the end of his wit. This is represented by the use of beer bottles which imply that the man was ‘drunk’, and the items discarded which could be identified as some sort of drugs. Furthermore, the man is overwhelmed by melancholy and loneliness over his lost love Lenore that he rashly speaks to a raven and welcomes it’s nonsense while any other person would have been disturbed with a bird in their house. Additionally, as the situation progresses and the man gets livid over the raven’s repetition of ‘Nevermore’, Lenore in the picture is seen in a distressed phase as she changes her facial expressions in the picture. This also suggests that the man may be hallucinating as he envisions Lenore moving in the picture. The ending of the adaptation also sparks a different conclusion than that of the poem. In the end, the man is passed out or as I presume is ‘dead’. After that the man’s body is engulfed by a shadow which is at the beginning is the raven but then the shadow grows larger and turns into that of a woman. I personally believe that the raven was Lenore trying to tell her husband ‘Nevermore’ as in forget me and move on with your life. Or on the contrary, the shadow was of the raven but the raven isn’t just a raven but the angel of death or something similar to the grim reaper as in ‘Nevermore’ will the man live and he has come to collect his soul. these are two of my many speculations as to what this adaptation has meant but perhaps the man was hallucinating after all.

Reply
  5. lderooy

At first I did not like this adaptation of The Raven because of the holes in the acting and recreation of the poem (for example the not very dark hallway when he opened his door and was supposed to see nothing but darkness). However I did like the characters passion and use of emotion as the poem continued and the raven started to really irritate him. I especially liked the idea of changing Lenore’s facial expressions as this added to the gothic atmosphere and helps emphasize what emotions the narrator was feeling as different stages. Furthermore I found this adaptation more successful at creating a a dark romantic setting whereas The Simpsons adaptation was more comical and therefore less effective in hooking the readers and making them feel what the man was feeling.

Reply
  6. Abder

I really enjoyed this adaption of ‘The Raven’. In the video, we can see right from the beginning a large bottle of wine, with a wine glass proving that he is intoxicated. This is a strong indication that he could be hallucinating everything. Also, when the main character hears the tapping on the chamber door for a second time, the camera focuses on the ‘Absinthe’, which by itself is highly alcoholic. To me, this emphasizes the fact that he was drunk, and this, coupled with the fact that he was depressed due to Lenore’s death reinforces the motif of him being an unreliable narrator. I find that this adaptation did a good job of interpreting the poem. I especially liked how instead of just acting out the poem, they also read the poem as the video went on. This was really useful and made the video a lot easier to understand. Also, I feel like the acting got a lot better as the video went on.

Reply
  7. hibarabiya

In this adaptation of the Raven by Edgar Allan Poe, the director has made a few changes such as Lenore’s photograph changing positions and facial expressions in contrast to whats taking place. The protagonist has acted out his expressions and feelings towards the Raven in a very professional and classic manner.Though the beginning of this adaptation seemed a bit comical and unrealistic but eventually towards the end it built the intensity and made the audience more interested. In addition, the setting it takes place in adds on to the dark theme of this poem and a sense that it was a small town in the black of night. Overall, I really liked the adaptation as it helped me understand the poem better.

Reply
  8. ileananove

When we first watched the adaptation of ‘The Raven’, in class, what struck me the most was how strong the mood was. The mixture of music, the emotion in the voice reading the poem, and the striking visuals all contributed to the overall feelings I felt while watching this. I really enjoyed how in the short film they incorporated elements that were not written in the poem, such as how the painting of Lenore kept changing position in order to mirror how the main character felt inside. I also appreciated how at the end of the poem (line 107-108) it said ‘And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor/ Shall be lifted- nevermore!’ and how in the short story this was interpreted as Lenore’s shadow, which could mean that they saw the raven as a symbol for her. These two elements made a huge difference in how I saw the poem, and at the same time, made it more terrifying.
    I thought that the acting was amazingly done and that they were able to easily express the poem’s meaning and atmosphere effectively, which made it easier to understand the ideas that Edgar Allan Poe was trying to express. One last part of the short film that I really enjoyed, was that the ending was left open, similarly to the poem. It could be interpreted differently, following ideas such as the main character had died, he had passed out from overly consuming alcohol, or some even say that he had been delusional the whole time. Overall, I think that this was a really good interpretation of the poem and that the various elements used appealed to the viewer’s senses and emotions.

Reply