September 16

The Lonely Book in “Brooklyn”

5 years ago, I read a small text about a lonely book. I never thought that someone can be that lonely. Look around you… We are living in a huge planet and there are millions of people. How can someone be that “lonely”? However, in the text that I read, the author was describing himself as a colorful kids book. The book was the fortieth book in a giant shelf, there were lots of books; the green one, the red one, the black one and neither of them can understand the author. In the shelf, they never spoke. They had different stories, different words but they never spoke with each other. In the middle of the text, the books’ colors changes and one by one they fall off from the shelf.

Loneliness is one of the most powerful effects on a human being. Expats know this feeling, teenagers know this feeling. I know this feeling and, Eilis knows this feeling. Being lonely or isolated is a curse for some people. For some people, it is just an another obstacle in a marathon and they just jump over, Eilis is one of those people. The first time she came to Brooklyn, she was scared, she felt alone and isolated but the most important thing was her home was not there. She knew no one so she was no one for those people in the city. However, she makes a quick shift with help from her boyfriend, Tony. Tony is a big symbol for her. He is a part of the family for her. In the end of the text that I read, a little girl comes and reads him and other people come and read the others. The books relief and people put them back on the shelf. In the book, Tony puts Eilis on the shelf, he reminds her that she is not lonely. When Eilis understands that, she knows, the home is about the people, not about the land.

Tags: , ,

Posted September 16, 2017 by baranbasimi in category Baran

1 thoughts on “The Lonely Book in “Brooklyn”

1. aoifeabushaqra

Great first post Baran! I especially enjoyed how personal you made it with reference to a book that resonated with you all this time. You’re right, Tony is the key factor in helping Eilis overcome her loneliness and in developing her sense of self.

Reply